A new puppy can add so much love and joy to both your home and the entire family. But it’s very important for everyone in the household, especially the kids, to understand the importance of feeding him appropriately. Here are a few healthy guidelines to go over with everyone with responsibility for feeding Fido:
- Always look for the nutritional adequacy statement AAFCO on bags and cans of cat or dog food to be confident that the product meets your pet’s dietary needs, based on his life stage. AAFCO is the Association of American Feed Control Officials.
- Don’t feed your dog or cat scraps. They may ingest foods that aren’t good for them.
- Add fruits and veggies to their diet on occasion. Don’t give onions, avocados or grapes, as they could be toxic to pets.
- Don’t always go by the recommended portion size on the package. Consider your pets weight, activity level, snacks given, etc.
- Establish an eating schedule for your dog or cat. Don’t leave food out all day.
- Add warm water to food or heat it up a bit, then add herbs that are vet-approved.