PREVENTING SKIN CANCER
- APPs that help keep track of moles & remind you to wear sunscreen: UMSkinCheck (free) & Nevus (iTunes & Google Play, $3)
- The skin on your eyelids is the thinnest skin on your body. Make sure your sunglasses cover your entire eye and have UV 400 blocking, which will both protect your eyelids from cancer and also protect from cataracts.
- Sun-protective clothing from retailers such as Solumbra provide the best protection for your skin, while a simple white t-shirt only provides a SPF of only 7.
- The best product protection is SPF 30 or higher, and is water resistant with “broad-spectrum” protection.
If you end up with a sunburn, it only takes a few seconds for BLACK TEA to soothe the sting. Black tea contains compounds called tannins which act as an anti-inflammatory. Put a black tea bag into a cup of boiling water, let it cool, then apply it directly to your burn or use a soft cloth. Leave it on your sunburn for 2-5 minutes, reapply throughout the day if necessary.
Help your kids stay healthy and keep weight off early in life
- Turn off the TV - the average child watches 4 1/2 hours of TV per day, while experts recommend no more than 1-2 hours.
- Get everyone MOVING - set a good example by taking the stairs when possible, and take a walk after dinner with your child. Train for charity races with your children.
- Enforce Bedtime - hormone levels are affected by a lack of sleep, which can increase appetite. Teens should get approximately 9 hours of shut-eye per night.
- Ditch the Soda - Substitute water for high calorie drink. This simple change can result in up to 5 lbs in only 6 months.
- Check out these Get-Healthy APPS: WakeMyMojo (iTunes), Nexercise (iTunes & Google Play), LiVe (iTunes & Goggle Play), Pick Chow! (zisboombah.com)
- Muscle Soreness or Sprains = Ibuprofen
- Headaches =Either Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen
- Fevers = Acetaminophen
- Menstrual Pain = Ibuprofen
- Take a DAILY ASPIRIN AT BEDTIME to help control high blood pressure. Recent studies show that aspirin (100 milligrams/day) taken at night reduces the activity of renin, an enzyme that raises blood pressure.
- Do you or someone you know suffer with migraines? The FDA just approved the first prescription skin patch for migraines. It’s called ZECUITY. In clinical trials, 53% of patients suffering a migraine were relieved of their headache within 2 hours!
- Also, remember that most people should be taking 2,000 IU of supplemental Vitamin D3 every day. If your level of Vitamin D is low, the calcium you take in will not be absorbed properly.
If you’re wondering what all the buzz is lately about the benefits of Coconut Water well here it is? It seems the liquid inside of young green coconuts has been found to be ultra-hydrating and packed with electrolytes. It’s a great alternative to coconut milk, which is found inside the riper brown coconuts, and many beauty companies are turning to coconut water because it is lighter-weight and fresher smelling and packed with electrolytes.
MEDICATION ALERT! A recent study indicates that ingesting any form of grapefruit with approximately 89 commonly prescribed drugs (i.e., birth control pills, blood pressure medicine, cholesterol-lowering drugs) may significantly increase the potency of the medication. So taking these meds with a glass of grapefruit juice could result in the equivalency of downing 5 tablets! Ask your pharmacist about your particular medications.
- A new research study indicates that people who exercise outside have higher levels of happiness and self-esteem.
- Need to improve your blood pressure? Want to lower your risk of diabetes? Resistance workouts can help with both of these issues!
- Strength training can instantly help boost your mood AND help ward off depression. So take the steps next time you have a choice!
Ever wonder what the big deal is about PLANKING? It seems you can get into excellent shape by doing this one exercise every other day! Get into the push-up position, keeping your entire body as straight as a plank of wood, with a focus on your head, neck, back, and legs, while clenching your abs as you would if someone were punching you in the stomach. Hold this position until you start to shake. Do this 5 times in a row, trying to stay in the plank position each time the same amount of time as you did the first time. Repeat this process every other day and try to increase the amount of time by 15 seconds each time. Apparently, this will help you get that lean-all-over look, with this one simple move. Who knew!
Want a quick fix to immediately get rid of gas and bloating? Fill a tea ball with fennel seeds and steep in hot water. One cup can get rid of the gas and bloating in a snap!
Don’t worry. Be happy. A recent study by the Harvard School of Public Health indicates that cheerful people experience fewer heart attacks and strokes, have higher levels of HDL (good cholesterol) and lower levels of triglycerides than doom and gloom people.
Did you know stargazing is being used for much more than identifying constellations? It’s true. UK researchers are utilizing stargazing software to identify aggressive cancers. This is definitely a stellar approach to the fight against cancer. Find out more at cancerresearchuk.org.