When one of your best friends gets divorced, of course you want to be there for her. But being a good friend through such a difficult time is a different role than being a friend when times are good. Here are a few tips to consider that may help your friend more than you can imagine.
- Plan a Sleepover - your friend now finds herself sleeping alone for the first time in a long time, and you bunking with her occasionally may help her with this difficult transition.
- Plan a Girl’s Night Out - get a few girl friends together and do something fun together. Let your friend vent about what all she is dealing with through her divorce, and be a good listener.
- Spruce Up Her Place – help her get organized in her new place, or if it’s her old place, help her pack up some of her ex’s things and get them out of sight. Go with her to shop for new bed and bath linens, and suggest a fresh coat of paint at her place with a new color to help her start fresh. Then help her paint her room!
- Don’t Talk About Dating – Wait for her to bring up the subject. It could be months before she is even open to talking about dating. And keep in mind she’s probably not going to want to hear about your or other people’s wonderful relationships for a while, also.
- Keep Her Kids - An offer to babysit her kids, if she has them, can be real life saver during a divorce. Tell her to go do something just for her, like a long hot bubble bath, shopping, read a good book, whatever she finds relaxing. She’s probably missing her ex’s extra pair of hands when it comes to the kids, and she will definitely enjoy some “me time.”