Looking for ways for your family to cut back and save more money? Well, have you thought about the cost of doing your laundry as an area to save? There are easy and simple ways to spend less on doing the family laundry. Here are a few to consider:
- Always pretreat stains to cut down on second-washings.
- Switch to using cold water! Almost 90% of the energy your washing machine uses is just to heat the water! Most loads can be washed and rinsed in cold water and turn out fine. Even if you don’t wash every load in cold water, you should always rinse using cold. Cold water helps get suds out better and it won’t set wrinkles in your clothing.
- Always buy your detergent in bulk. This will cut your expense drastically, and pay attention to how much detergent your using. Most people use too much detergent, and most of the time the laundry will get just as clean with only half the amount of detergent you are used to using.
- Hang everything you can to dry. You will save more by running the dryer less often, and clothes may last longer being air dried.
- Many items that say ‘dry clean only’ can easily be washed on the delicate cycle and turn out just fine.
GREAT TIP – If you are in the market for a new washer and/or dryer, look for the ones with the EnergyStar rating. These appliances may save you up to $135 a year in the energy costs alone. When it comes to shopping for a new washer, look for one that’s a front-loader, as opposed to a top-loader. Front-loaders can cut energy by 1/3 and your water usage by 1/2!