- Ever wondered why there is a clear liquid on top of your yogurt? That is whey, and it contains additional protein. So drain it off if you want to … but if you stir it into your yogurt you will be getting the maximum protein punch from your delicious meal!
- Greek or Greek-Style Yogurt? They are both thicker and more creamy than regular yogurt and most have approximately twice the protein. But Greek is strained so it is thicker, while Greek-Style yogurt may have stabilizers added to get it’s texture. Pay attention to the label.
- Regular yogurt has 3.25%+ milk fat, lowfat has 2% or less milk fat, and nonfat is required to have less than 0.5% milk fat.
Interesting Tips on the Benefits of Yogurt
- Yogurt is rich in calcium, protein, and B vitamins.
- People who eat a serving of yogurt every day are less likely to have thickening of the carotid artery.
- Research has shown a correlation between regular yogurt consumption and reduced levels of LDL, which is the BAD cholestrol.
- A recent study suggests that yogurt lovers are 31% less likely to develop hypertension.
- Read the label! Yogurts that have been heat-treated to prolong shelf life are not going to provide the probiotic benefits that yogurts which have not been heat-treated. The heating process kills the good beneficial microbes that support immunity and promote digestive health.
- For maximun benefit, choose the brands that state “Live & Active” Cultures.