Are you considering (or maybe resisting) taking medication to reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke? If so, here are 6 easy steps that could help lower your blood pressure and subsequently reduce your risk of an event.
- GET A PET- having a pet can reduce stress and improve your mood. If you commit to walking a dog or playing with your pet at least 20 minutes per day, you will increase your exercise levels. All of these benefits to having a pet work together to help lower blood pressure.
- VOLUNTEER - New research indicates people who volunteer to help others for 200 hours per year (approximately 3 hours per week) lowered their blood pressure by 40%!
- EAT YOGURT – Eating at least 6 oz of lowfat yogurt daily can reduce your chance of getting high blood pressure by 31%.
- RELAX WITH MUSIC – A recent study found that people who relaxed by listening to music had lower blood pressure.
- MOVE YOUR BODY – Cardiovascular activity can improve health and lower blood pressure. Try to get at least 30 minutes most days every week.
- DRINK BLACK TEA - Black tea has antioxidants in it called flavonoids, which have been found to help blood vessels to relax, which may lower blood pressure.